Rebel From Birth decided to interview the multi-talented Eva Marie from the Philipines.
We caught up with blogger/fashion designer whilst she had a time to spare through her busy schedule.
1. Why did you decide to start blogging?
I started blogging on Buzznet in 2008. Following that, I used Tumblr, Blogspot, WordPress and now I have settled on Blogspot for good. the main reason I blog is to express myself through the medium of photography, blog entries and people that inspired me as a person.
2. Nice. We believe everybody deserves their own space to express themselves. What else are you up to when you’re not blogging?
I’m a full-time fashion designer. I own a small dress shop in which I make gowns, dresses, costumes & cosplay, bridal gowns and entourage. I also accept bookings for wardrobe styling, event organizing (stage design, set-ups, programs etc), make up and a lot more. I am also the head designer for Fake Friends, a local streetwear brand founded by me and my bf.
3. You are a real Superwoman! It must be hard juggling everything. How did the idea to start your own brand first come about?
The main idea was to cater to girls who shares the same passion as me. I saw that local streetwear brands here are more focused on men than women. Their designers were mostly men, so it didn’t appeal to me that much. I initially wanted to make a brand designed by a woman, for the women. But after going through it with some creative friends, we decided to make it as a lifestyle brand both for men and women.
4. Was it an easy process to decide what look and identity you wanted for your label?
It wasn’t easy. The baking process took almost a year before we had it all together.
5. So is there a strong streetwear culture in the Philippines?
I don’t believe so, not yet. We are currently in a state of experimenting. But I can see the progress and strong potential here and I’m really excited to see how it would look like in 5 years time.
6. I definitely agree that there is potential. What is your favourite item of clothing in your wardrobe then?
I cant decide! My holy grail shirts are my Neighborhood x Adidas, Neighborhood black shirt, Bape gray shirt and XLarge sweater. Also my matching Adidas tracksuit. For my shoes its probably my Ronnie Fieg x Puma Sakura Projects and my triple white Nike Sockdarts.
7. Is there any fashion designers who inspire you, and why?
Definitely Ronnie Fieg and Yohji Yamamoto. For couture its Marchesa and Ulyana Sergeenko. They all share that aesthetic and attitude that i look for in a designer. May it be streetwear or couture. I love how i can see their heart and passion just by seeing the pieces they designed in each collection. LOL DEEP
8. Describe your style in 3 words
Experimental. Classic. Weird lol.
9. Do you have any advice to new bloggers or designers?
Just be yourself and stay true to your aesthetic. Whatever you think you’re good at, master it.
Dont be cocky, stay humble.
10. What does being a rebel mean to you?
Being a rebel means fuck what they think. You do you, and I’ll do me.